It has been a crazy last few weeks. I’ve been wrapping up work from freelance clients so I can focus on my new, fun full-time job building a communications program for the research team of a large nonprofit.
In the chaos, I’ve been studying up on how to improve my health: diet, exercise and just overall, how I feel.
I want more energy. I want more mental acuity. I want less joint pain. Heck, I’d love to weigh less and more easily fit into cute clothes.
There are a ton of “diets” out there, none of which I’ve ever tried. And it’s not because I’m a skinny person. I was when I got married. In that 25+ year timeframe, however, I’ve grown — I wish I could say taller.
Yes, I play a lot of tennis. In a good week, I play several times for 1.5-2 hours. But it’s still not enough aerobic activity to keep me from losing much weight. I’ve also had some joint problems ever since my ACL reconstruction 10 years ago, and it’s easy to say that, in my joints, I feel my age a lot.
So I decided to do Whole30 for a few reasons:
- Determine which foods give me energy
- Eliminate those that don’t
- Learn more re: my emotional relationship w/food
- Develop better eating habits overall
And then there are the real reasons why I’m doing the Whole30:
- To continue improving my tennis game with better health & energy
- To kick ass on the tennis court and be invited to join competitive teams
- To feel awesome before I hit the big Five-Oh (holy cow I just wrote that)
- Because ultimately, I want to do CrossFit, too
- And most importantly, to treat my body more like a temple. If God dwells here, I’d better keep my house cleaner than I have been doing.
This weekend I’ve been wrapping up grocery shopping and planning. I’ll start prepping some food for the next couple of days shortly.
I will probably post here, at least weekly – mostly to remind myself why I want this so badly. Who knows, maybe you’ll need the encouragement too. Lord knows if I can do this anybody can.
So here we go. Cheers to the Whole30 (and beyond). To better health!
5 thoughts on “Why I’m doing the Whole30”
You go girl! Committing to yourself is so important
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Monica! Kind of scared, mostly excited!
I like goals! Cheering you on. Go, Nydia!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: A Whole30 days of clean eating: It’s a gut feeling | To Well With You
Pingback: Ahhh. That’s much better. | poor mexican gone